Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paypal restricted n Japan
FYI, just like if Japanese law on money transfers wasn't already painful enough:

Paypal Wrote:Hello XXXX,

Thank you for being a valued PayPal user.

We wish to inform you that effective 31 March 2010, you will not be able to send funds using the "Send Money" function for non-commercial transactions only, until further notice.

The changes to our personal payment services are necessary in order for us to comply with new regulatory requirements in Japan. This does not affect anyone outside of Japan sending money to any Japanese residents.

Please note that you will also continue to be able to shop online and use the PayPal services for the payment of goods and services as you normally would.

This restriction of services only applies to non-commercial transactions such as the sending of money to a family member for living allowance.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this temporary restriction of service may cause you.

We will update you as to when our personal payment services will be available again.

We thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely yours

PayPal
I received this mail too...what's defined as a non-commercial transaction? I'd guess an example would be paying YCare for the facemask as a non-commercial transaction since YCare isn't a shop. What about private auctions in eBay? PayPal fees are sent directly to the seller rather than eBay?
I believe this refers to sending money using the "Personal Payment" tab of the "Send Money" section. The keyword being "non-commercial transactions only." The main difference of using that compared to the "Purchase" tab is that the sender has the option to pay for the fees associated with the process. This will result in the recipient receiving the amount as shown with no fees deducted.

I find this inconvenient, as I have been using this to send and receive payments for person-to-person transactions (like Ycare's mask transaction for instance). How it relates to regulatory requirements is beyond me. It isn't much different from sending money in Japan using the registered money envelope from the post office.
Yup... inconvenient it is... I'm glad we got the mask situation worked out before this came up !
Yea i got the same email
Quote:This restriction of services only applies to non-commercial transactions such as the sending of money to a family member for living allowance.

paypal HuhConfusedDodgy
Congress shall make no law
Respecting an establishment of religion
Or prohibiting the free exercice there of
Or abridging the freedom of speech
Or of the press
Or of the right of the people peacefully to assemble
And to petition the government for a re-dress of grievances